Monday, April 08, 2013

The Packages - for Jackie - Poetry Month 2013 - Day 8

The Packages 

                  -for Jackie

Inside the packages
she found on her steps this morning
were forty volumes of books she edited
and opened after her ten-mile run.
This girl-woman who is my daughter
produces more in  half a day
(keinahorah -
toi toi - the evil eye
shouldn't get her)
than most people
produce
in weeks of whole days.
How she does this
is beyond me
 but for better or worse -
wear and tear on joints
notwithstanding -
this girl-woman
daughter
mother-teacher
is a scholar
who,
like the waitress
she was throughout
her school years,
looks intellectual elitism in the eye.
For that I am most proud,
and I promise to forgive her
the next time
she texts
while
talking to me.
        - Esther Altshul Helfgott

 

 

No comments: